Tuesday 11 September 2012

Exposed Privacy

One of the major issues which has been highlighted during this entire process I am experiencing, is that of Privacy. And when does Privacy impinge on Honesty? Not honesty with yourself, although I must remind myself to be conscious of whether I am hiding from my own truth, but honesty and openness with another. In my recent experiences, some detailed in this blog, boundaries have been crossed and privacy, in my opinion, invaded, rather than shared. It has made me wary of being totally open with another, as I have discovered that sharing your weaknesses, can (and will) be used against you when the other is threatened or fearful. Respect for anothers' privacy is, to me, of utmost importance, and one of the backbones of integrity (for example, snooping in anothers' private things whilst they are away), however it extends far further than this - into the realms of anothers' thoughts, dreams, desires.
To make any form of judgement on them, if you have been honored to have them expressed to you, and worse, to store them away in your brain to be brought out at a later date if needed, is disrespectful.
I understand that if what you are doing or thinking in private is detrimental, then it would be good to expose it in order that another is not harmed. Yet, what if it would only be detrimental if it were exposed? And if it were kept hidden it would not harm anything, indeed... if it were kept hidden it would be beneficial to the person doing or thinking it? How do you weigh up the cons of being uncovered, against the pros of remaining hidden? How do you determine what is anothers' right-to-know, or is there no such thing?
I came across an old 'note to self' from about 20 years back, which spoke about thinking you have to tell others about what you have done or are doing. I was telling myself to "live a personal, private life. One that you, and you alone, experience, for your own unrevealed reasons! When you do things and think that you will need to describe and explain them, then they get distorted, because you always have to allow for the other persons' attitude - and then this causes you not to experience things how they actually are. You must experience and feel things according to your own attitude and you will get so much more out of life! Do things for yourself, because you want to experience them, for goodness sake! Stop doing things for the purpose of impressing others, or proving a point, even if to yourself.".
Those were my words... How did I lose that wisdom? I am going to need to re-read this daily in order to get into the habit of asking myself every time, why am I doing this? and if it is not purely in order to experience it for myself, then change my attitude towards it.
In the book The Cinderella Complex, Colette Dowling writes inspiringly: "Ultimately the goal is emotional spontaneity - an inner liveliness... It comes from the conviction: 'I AM THE FIRST FORCE IN MY LIFE.' It leads to 'whole-heartedness' and emotional sincerity."


...Read the next post for more of uncovering of my Soul: Unthinkable Freedom
...Read the post that preceded this one, go here: The Awakening
...Start at the Beginning of the exposure of my soul, go here: The Exposed Me

No comments:

Post a Comment